Saturday, March 14, 2009

Saturday mornings!

One of my fondest memories from my childhood, or actually, just living at home, will always be Saturday mornings! Now, I was never the child or teen that slept until noon or later. I was always up early because you had such little time on the weekends, I wanted to jump on it and get as much out of it as possible!

I remember getting up to a clean house, always, which was so nice because it made you feel like everything you needed was taken care of already. If it was a sunny Saturday, all the better. I remember those sunny Saturdays where the sunlight would be streaming in through the windows making a patchwork quilt on the living room floor and plopping myself down in one of them and letting the sun just warm me while I ate my cereal or bagel with cream cheese which was (and still is) my favorite breakfast of all time!

Then I'd turn on the Saturday morning cartoons on ABC! I'd sit, mesmerized by those colorful characters for the next two hours until 10:00 came around and it was time for Looney Tunes. Looney Tunes signaled two things for me, either get up and do something with my day or watch them because I had nothing better planned. In those days, Looney Tunes were the "well, I guess I could sit and suffer through these cartoons just to stay in front of the T.V" kind of cartoons to me.

Most of the time I'd get up and clean my room, per mom's demands or I couldn't go out and play, which entailed dusting (in which I would drag a cloth over my dresser and kind of move my figurines around and then spray the lemon Pledge in the air to make it look like I had dusted (sorry Mom!)) and making my bed. Sometimes I had to sort my laundry or strip my bed, all which now seem like measly little tasks, but back then, when it stood between me and the freedom of the weekend, were goliaths!

After that, it was just me, the grass, the sun, my neighborhood friends and my imagination! Those were the days! Just this morning, Al and I were laying in bed and I turned to him and said "I can't wait until we have our own house and we wake up in our own house all by ourselves on a sunny Saturday morning with nothing to do but putter around our own house!" Not even 5 minutes after I said this did my supersonic hearing, developed after years of eavesdropping at my bedroom door to hear what my mother was saying on the phone, did I hear some faint noises outside our door. Then I heard a couple of soft meows and then I heard Simon scarfing down food.

Al heard none of this and when I said "Shhh! Do you hear that?" He said, "hear what?" So I quietly got out of bed and tiptoed into the kitchen and sure enough, there was Simon at the dry food container and Joan sitting on the stairs watching him! She tiptoed down also and let him and Petey in! Oh, sunny Saturdays, how I can't wait to meet you in my own house! :-)

PS-Mom, I'm just kidding about the dusting!

No comments: