Al and I had a second meeting with Platinum today to check out the kitchen and lumber warehouse that would be doing the design and construction of our house. It was set up so we could see and feel the materials they were going to be using. We were able to pick out cabinets today which was nice. We both easily agreed on the style and color we wanted (one agreement that hasn't come as the result of a compromiseor fight!! :-P) We both love the plain styles of cabinets and the fact that we could dress them up with some ornate hardware if we chose to. We also both agreed that we like a deep cherry cabinet with a lighter counter top and back splash.
Then we went to look at windows. I don't think you really think about windows much when they are in your house, that is unless they are leaking or drafty, but damn! Some of these windows were gorgeous! And I'm not talking about big windows you see in a great room, although those are pretty damn gorgeous too. I'm talking about plain, double hung windows. Andersen makes a gorgeous window! So gorgeous in fact that it puts us well out of our price point. Oh well. As long as the windows we get are energy efficient and stand up to the test of time, then that's all that matters!
We looked at some doors and both agree we like the craftsman style doors. Plain hardwood with some nice windows on top and then side lights and a transom over the top. We obviously want the front of the house to pop and since we can afford brick or stone at the moment, then the doors going to have to do it for us! All in all it was a pretty successful meeting. We explained to Dan and Andy what we were trying to do with Al's dad and they were completely behind us. We also came to the conclusion that if after all is said and done we can't build this house, then we will meet with their architect and start from scratch.
It was kind of fun looking at everything yesterday and I can't help get a little excited, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up. It does make me very sad and a little teary to think that we won't be in our own house by the end of the year and will be spending yet another Christmas here in the basement. Actually, it makes me a lot teary to think of that. And for now, I'm just dwelling on that and not being positive. Maybe that's a little unhealthy on my part, but I'm mourning my loss....for the second year in a row...
Then we went to look at windows. I don't think you really think about windows much when they are in your house, that is unless they are leaking or drafty, but damn! Some of these windows were gorgeous! And I'm not talking about big windows you see in a great room, although those are pretty damn gorgeous too. I'm talking about plain, double hung windows. Andersen makes a gorgeous window! So gorgeous in fact that it puts us well out of our price point. Oh well. As long as the windows we get are energy efficient and stand up to the test of time, then that's all that matters!
We looked at some doors and both agree we like the craftsman style doors. Plain hardwood with some nice windows on top and then side lights and a transom over the top. We obviously want the front of the house to pop and since we can afford brick or stone at the moment, then the doors going to have to do it for us! All in all it was a pretty successful meeting. We explained to Dan and Andy what we were trying to do with Al's dad and they were completely behind us. We also came to the conclusion that if after all is said and done we can't build this house, then we will meet with their architect and start from scratch.
It was kind of fun looking at everything yesterday and I can't help get a little excited, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up. It does make me very sad and a little teary to think that we won't be in our own house by the end of the year and will be spending yet another Christmas here in the basement. Actually, it makes me a lot teary to think of that. And for now, I'm just dwelling on that and not being positive. Maybe that's a little unhealthy on my part, but I'm mourning my loss....for the second year in a row...
1 comment:
I am so sorry to hear of yet another set back. I know how important this is to the both of you. I know it is hard to be positive all the time. Just be grateful that you have a have a strong marriage and a wonderful family that will help you get through these difficult times.
You know everything happens for a reason. Think of all the lessons you will learn and how much you will both grow when all is said and done.
PS: So glad you blog bc otherwise I would have no clue what was going on!!!
B
Post a Comment