Tuesday, January 19, 2010

MLK Weekend

Every year it's a tradition in the family to head down to North Carolina, Ocean Isle Beach, to visit with relatives from Joan's side of the family. And let me tell you, she has a HUGE family all as fun and boisterous and friendly as she is! Al and I haven't been able to go the last couple of years due to work conflicts but we made it a point to go down this year. I, selfishly, did not want to go, not because I didn't want to see the family, but because now that things are finally starting to get rolling with the house, all I could think about was the meetings we could be having over the weekend. Selfish, I know.

Needless to say, I was a bear starting Thursday night as soon as Al walked in the door. Poor guy. He had no idea what hit him. And Friday was no better. I was truly acting like a spoiled brat. I had no idea what the hell was wrong with me. I was stepping outside myself saying "who is this person??" I think a lot had to do with the fact that I was overtired and overstimulated from work and then throw some PMS into the mix and you've got an RHB (raging hormonal B.I.T.C.H)! Which I was. And my RHB alter ego thought that everyone was out to get her.

For example, Joan rented a "premium" rental for the weekend so that we could all fit (Tom was also with us). Al and I flew in first, so we were going to pick up the car. When the girl behind the rental desk told us we would be getting a Grand Marquis, I sighed heavily, rolled my eyes and went and plopped myself down in one of the rocking chairs. Poor woman had no idea what she'd done wrong. I said to Al when he came over "If that thing is baby blue, I'm so outta here!"

The rental girl came over to where we were waiting in the rockers (yes, they have rocking chairs in the southern state airports) and told us that our car was ready and it was, wait for it, BRAND NEW! Big whoop! We walked outside and what do you think pulls up to the curb, freshly washed, gassed and ready to go? A baby blue Grand f'ing Marquis. I think my exact growl was "F*** me haaaaarrrrrrdddddd!"

Again, poor Al had no idea who this person was and as I'm dragging my feet and plopping myself into the recliner in the front, says "It's really not that bad, honey" to which I replied "Oh look! There are even armrests for the trip down to Florida!" to which he rebutted, "when did you get so hoi polloi?" (That ended up being my phrase for the rest of the weekend!) So I called my mom like I always do when I'm upset and need to vent (you are such a good shoulder!) and we then set sail for lunch. We had almost 3 hours to kill before Joan, Al and Tom's flight arrived, so we plugged the GPS in and started to cruise.

I spotted Hooters first and we navigated our way into the parking lot. We were seated and the first thing I did was order a double Margarita. Things were starting to look up. I didn't get seasick in our rented boat and I had three hours of uninterrupted Al and Danielle time. We got our appetizer, fried pickles, and were planning to take our time, enjoy our drinks and each other, and watch some boobs...I mean, games on tv.

Almost as soon as we finished our app, Al's phone rang. Guess what? Joy of all joys, Joan, Al and Tom were able to hop on another plane and they had just landed! Yaaaaaaay! I chug-a-lugged the rest of my double. So much for there being a silver lining in my clouds. So we paid the tab and walked (I stomped) back out to our yacht to go pick them up. Now, I know this sounds incredibly selfish, I mean who wouldn't want to get on an earlier flight if they could rather than have a 2 hour layover? I don't begrudge them that at all. But don't forget, we weren't dealing with Danielle here, we were dealing with RHB Danielle.

Anywho, long story short, things definitely started to perk up once we got to the Inn and then headed over to the beach house. It was great to see everyone, especially Uncle Don, aka Bear, who is one of the most gentle souls you'll ever meet. He was very proud to show off his new wife, Daisy, a very sweet woman who, as Uncle Don put it "brought him out of the darkness and into the light." We were welcomed by many other family members and the Southern hospitality was never in short supply! And neither was the food!! We munched and dined and wined all weekend. So much for my "lifestyle change." Oh well, there's always next Sunday!

After that day, I did change my attitude and brought nice Danielle back for the rest of the weekend. And we truly enjoyed ourselves and promised that we would be back next year. Looking back, I still don't know who it was the flew with Al down to NC or where she came from. But I will definitely be on the lookout for her next time so I can stop her in her tracks!

No comments: