It's a joke between family and friends about what a "bad driver" I am and my road rage is pretty infamous. But I came to realize something tonight. I an not an angry driver. I'm angry at drivers who use the road like their own personal autobahn.
Case in point, tonight. I was on my way to work, listening to a fantastic book on tape when out of my review mirror, I can see one headlight literally flying up behind me in the left hand land. At first I thought it was a motorcycle, but when it flew past me, I realized it was a car with one headlight. My first thought was to get on the horn with 911, as I am known for calling to report drivers I feel are under the influence, but he drove by so fast that I didn't get the chance to look at his license plate or make of the car. I was driving along at a cool 60mph so my thought was that he must have been going 80mph+!
It made my blood boil and of course I let out a "stupid mother f*cker!" Not even two minutes down the road I was completely disoriented. I don't have the greatest night vision to begin with but at to that rain, or bright lights or any other element that I'm not expecting and I literally go blind. All I could see what a huge cloud of smoke covering the road and a flashing blue light. Not realizing at first what had happened, I slowed down and kept going until I heard the crunch of glass under my tires. Looking to the left I saw a car smashed into the guardrail and on my right, another car on the side of the road, it's front end missing completely.
I pulled over, and I'm ashamed to admit this, thought 'you deserve this you asshole.' I walked over to the police officer, who I can only assume must have been sitting close by as a speed trap because how else would he have gotten to the scene so fast, and told him I was a nurse and offered my help. He declined, but I waited around until more help arrived. The woman driving the car missing the front end appeared unharmed and was pacing, saying "my husband's going to kill me, this is his car," and looking for a cell phone to use. I offered her mine.
I called work to let them know I'd be late and I was shaking like a leaf. I couldn't stop shaking. It was horrible to witness and I thank God that tonight I had left for work just a couple of minutes later than I normally do. I'm glad I sat down with Al to watch a movie that I didn't really want to, but did just to spend time with him (and it ended up being really good!) and it ended up putting me a little behind my normal schedule. Isn't it funny how fate works? And I do believe in fate.
I just found out in an article this morning on projo.com that this driver and his passenger, 25 and 27 years old respectively, are both hospitalized and that the driver was drunk. I also found out that while he sideswiped on car, he hit another car head on and killed a 70 year old woman. He was also involved in a hit and run in a neighboring town before he hit these two cars.
No comments:
Post a Comment