Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Free Speech = Terrorism?

Well, according to California state Assembly Speaker Karen Bass it does. From the L.A. Times:

How do you think conservative talk radio has affected the Legislature's work?

The Republicans were essentially threatened and terrorized against voting for revenue. Now [some] are facing recalls. They operate under a terrorist threat: "You vote for revenue and your career is over." I don't know why we allow that kind of terrorism to exist. I guess it's about free speech, but it's extremely unfair.

Someone needs to explain the meaning of the word Democracy to Mrs. Bass. Anyone who confuses free speech with terrorism is too stupid to be allowed to hold office.

Anyone else notice how dissent was 'Patriotic' until January 20, 2009, at which point it became unpatriotic and comparable to terrorism (err, sorry, per the new politically correct terminology pushed forward by the current administration, I should have said "man caused disaster").

EDIT:
I wanted to add something more to this. If you've talked to me about politics, religion, or anything else in particular, you've probably heard me talk about the way in which people frame their speech to receive the most desirable response. This is the reason why those who support abortion call themselves 'Pro-Choice' rather than 'Pro-Abortion'. I mean, come on, is anyone really against choice? The same can be said on the reverse side of that coin... 'Pro-Life' vs. 'Anti-Choice' or, quite honestly, even 'Anti-Abortion' which, while generating decent approval, is no where near as moving as 'Pro-Life'.

Well, the quote above is an example of framing the argument. In particular, I'm talking about the word 'revenue' as used by Mrs. Bass. She uses the phrases "terrorized against voting for revenue" and "You vote for revenue and your career is over". Just to make sure it's clear, revenue in this instance means the money the coming in to the California government. And how, pray tell, does the government receive that revenue? By taxing you and I. So, what she's really saying is that members of the California congress are being petitioned by their constituents to vote against raising their taxes. Except, to Mrs. Bass, your hard earned money is her revenue and your disapproval of their means of taking your money is terrorism.

No comments: