Wednesday, November 9, 2011

What the Duggar!?

It's been a long time since I updated and although this entry isn't really about me and Al, you all know that it's my soapbox. So here we go!

What is all the outrage about Michelle Duggar being pregnant again? I just don't get it. I couldn't believe the overwhelming amount of negative Facebook posts from my friends alone about the "20th child" the Duggars are expecting. "This makes me sick!" "Are you kidding me?" "It's called birth control!" "This is so selfish!"

Really? Wow! Whatever happened to " to each his own," "live and let live?" Given that we are in the age of social media and that everyone has an opinion about everything (present company not excluded) we all feel we are entitled to have a say in what other people do and how they live their lives. I've definitely had my own opinion about some reality television families but for the most part I steer clear of reality television because, for the most part, again, it's not really reality.

But here is this family. This warm, loving family who instill in their children a strong belief system and have unwavering faith and people feel the need to tear them down because they are being blessed, yes, blessed, with another child. Now, personally, I've only caught a few episodes of the show from a few of the seasons, usually when they are running a marathon on TLC and I'm supposed to be doing something constructive but end up getting sucked in, and I have to say, I wish I was a part of that family!!

Yes, Michelle's last delivery was a perilous one and she was warned that the next one could be her last but again, this is where their faith comes in. No! They don't believe in birth control and family planning because they believe that whatever God hands them will never be something that they can't handle. This 20th baby is a miracle along with all their children! Has anyone ever thought of that? She has had nineteen healthy children! No birth defects, no medical issues other than ones that go hand in hand with prematurity, no Down's syndrome children. Healthy children. Something most people go their entire pregnancies praying and hoping for.

Do any of you have any idea the kind of "parents" I see in my profession? People who can't even provide for one child having another, milking the system for everything they can get out of it, parents in drug rehab programs having their second, third or fourth addicted baby, single parents, teenage parents, mothers abused by their spouses. Yet people choose to focus on why the Duggars should not have another child.

The Duggars, who ask for no help from handouts, have no debt, teach their children the value of hard work(something the children of the next generation are going to have no idea how to do because we are raising a group of people who think they are just entitled to everything), teach their children how to start and run a successful business, are a strong family unit and have a very strong belief system. The last two are other aspects that we are severely lacking in as a whole.

I understand the whole thing about "how can you possibly form relationships with all of your children when you have so many?" but watch the show. Do any of their children appear to be lacking in a personal relationship with either of their parents? No, not really. I've never seen an episode where any of the kids act out for attention or are especially clingy to Michelle or Jim Bob. They do so much together as a family! I digress.

I think the point is that people want to find something wrong with this family. We just don't believe that life can be as good as they have it and it would make us feel so much better if there were some scandal so we could sit back and say with a sigh "I knew it!" Like I said earlier, I know that this will definitely be a risky pregnancy but it's still a blessing and a miracle nonetheless. My guess for the course of action her docs will take is this: strict bedrest after 24 weeks and a cerclage to hold that cervix closed until it's safe enough for baby number 20 to make his/her appearance!

Congratulations Duggars, you truly are the definition of family, faith and tenacity!

No comments: