Tuesday, August 16, 2011

If I could do it over again...

I'd build modular. No, really. After seeing the work that most of our subs have done and tuning in to Holmes on Holmes every Sunday, I wouldn't want to live in a house that was already built and after all the shit we've gone through with this house, there is NO. WAY. I'd ever build from the ground up again. Hence, modular. That's neither here nor there however, not even a scenario. I'm just saying.


Shit. Yes, most of you that are my facebook friends saw my post about "Just when you think it can't get any better, you find a box of shit...literally" and may have wondered what I was referring to. Here's the watered down version. Al Sr. found a box of what appeared to be horse (ahem) manure tucked away in the corner of our basement. Behind our appliances. Where someone didn't think we'd find it. For a while. Nice, huh?


It's no secret that our GC thinks we are getting this house for a bargain and he's said to me on more than one occasion that he beat his subs down to get it in our budget and most people would never be able to build our house for what we are paying for it. Well if I knew that his subs felt like they could give us less than 100% of their effort because of what they agreed to do the job for, I would have said, forget it! They seem to forget that if they didn't want to do the job for the price they quoted, they didn't have to.


Which brings me to another point. It's not like we (I say "we" but I really mean Al and his dad) are sitting in our ivory tower delegating tasks from our thrones. No! Our own blood, sweat and tears have gone into this house. An entire winter, spring and summer of weekends given up to do the jobs that are allowing us to afford this house. Al Sr. almost gave up a freaking finger to get this house done. So don't act like we are out of our minds or being ridiculous because we don't want a house that leaks and we want things done right. And on time!!


Which brings me to yet another point. It seems like we are at the bottom of everyone's list of priorities. The HVAC guys were complete no shows for two weeks, choosing instead to come finish the job on a Friday night at 6:30 and then not leaving until 12:30am. Then bitch about it. Out loud. All night. Do you really think poor Al is going to leave them in our house alone after listening to the disgruntled swearing and bitching? Hell no! So he was stuck there until he left. One of the HVAC guys was actually very nice. The other? Total asshole. Totally unprofessional.


I know this has been one long rant and I'm sure most of you are tired of hearing me bitch about it! :-P I woke up this afternoon excited because the materials to finish our front porch had been delivered in the morning and our guy was supposed to start today. I knew it might be a possibility that the rain yesterday may have held him off a day but that was ok because I saw an end in sight. That is until Al told me that he had a conflict with another job of his and has to put us off. For a couple of weeks. Weeks. I almost cried. I'm just tired...Al is tired...Joan misses her hubby, I miss mine. I can't wait for this to be OVER. I can't wait to be cooking some fresh pumpkin bread in my gorgeous kitchen while Al watches football on the new TV in our new living room on our new couch!


OK, I'm done...for now! :-)

2 comments:

Baby Brierley said...

Dear Danielle - I am so sorry you and Al and your families are going through this crap. You are a great person with such a big heart you think you would be entitled to get something back 1/2 of what you give out. I am out of work till the first week of October and am always looking for day trips to keep me busy. Im sure Miss Anna can keep her self amused at your place with the hiccups for a while as well =) If you need any help or just want to bitch. Im all ears. Im all hands to help with what ever I can as well! I will also drap Jay as well if need some more man power ;) Good Luck *Love Lizz*

Danielle & Al said...

Awww! Thanks so much Liz! Very sweet and I may take you up on your offer! :-)