Most of you know that I'm a burgeoning professional photographer. Most of you know that I've always had a passion for photography. But, unlike most people and professionals, I don't cart my camera everywhere I go. More often than not, this comes back to bite me in the ass but I have good reasons not to bring it with me. Often times I'll hear from Al, "Did you bring your camera with you?" or "Are you bringing your camera to [insert event here]." Most of the time, my answer is no. I like having a reason to bring my camera out, I like to shoot with a purpose. This doesn't really fall into line with how most professionals work because the majority of them bring their camera everywhere! Here are some of my reasons.
- I don't want to leave my camera in the car. Weather and the elements you know! Too hot, too cold. I want to keep it in a neutral thermal environment at all times. When they make an incubator for your camera, let me know.
- I'm deathly afraid of it being lost, stolen, or broken. Of course I'm insured but I still worry! This is something I am going to have to get over because for reasons #1 & 2, I've missed a lot of great photo ops.
- I don't want to be an "Uncle Bob."
What's an Uncle Bob you ask? It's all the well meaning friends and family that show up at your wedding with their prosumer cameras and get in the way of the person you paid to document your special day. 

Obviously, very well meaning, but when I'm at a wedding and I see someone with their DSLR shooting away, it makes me happy that I chose to leave mine at home. Sure, there are some great photo ops to be had. But I'm not being paid to catch them and why would I want pictures of someone else's wedding? The bride and groom are going to have plenty of pictures from their own photog and other friends and family so I doubt very much that they will miss mine. I can get the pictures I want with my little point and shoot. I don't need or want to haul out the big guns. Besides, I want to be present at the wedding, not seeing it through my viewfinder or LCD screen. Too many moments are missed or not fully appreciated because we live in such a digital world and we are so consumed with updating our "status" that precious time is forever lost behind one piece of digital media or another.
Weddings, aside, I really do need to carry my camera with me more often. Like I said, I've missed some AMAZING shots because I didn't have it on me and totally regretted it. I'm getting there though. :-)
1 comment:
omg i am bob...
Post a Comment