Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day...

...is pretty much just another day of the week in the Wiesner household. Mostly because Al forgot it was today. Not a huge deal. But I did miss my annual orchid plant...and a sweet card. But to make up for it, he's making me chicken piccata for dinner, the first (and so far, last) meal he ever made me for our 1 year anniversary. 6 years ago. But I digress! I don't want to make him feel any worse about forgetting the most romantic day of the year. The one day where a man can redeem himself from all the bonehead, non-romantic things they do all year long. The one day where a woman doesn't have to hint about doing something sweet. Again, I digress.

You might ask yourself 'How does one forget Valentine's Day?' when there are cards and candies and commercials starting right after the New Year. Walk into the grocery store and you are inundated with roses, stuffed animals and heart shaped balloon archways. I think guys must wear blinders around this time of year. In any case...

I'm watching Al scurry around the kitchen preparing the chicken piccata and it's so cute. He's so determined to do it himself and me, being the 'I want it my way which is the right way' kind of girl, am having a hard time not interjecting things every couple of minutes like that the pans should be covering the burner not the other way around. Or that he should be cleaning up as he's cooking. He also just informed me that if the dish is ruined it's because I suggested doubling the ingredients for the sauce. Chances are he'll think it's "ruined."

He's got a good heart and I love him and his efforts. All in all, we've had a pretty great weekend though. We spent the day tooling around Home Depot, talking about our house, which by the way is really starting to come together, and picking out tile and fixtures, etc. It was so much fun! I can't wait to actually start purchasing things! Slowly, slowly but I'm hoping our patience (or my lack thereof) will be rewarded and we'll have a house by the end of the year. Wait, let me specify, a finished house! Well, dinner is almost ready and I'm starving! Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

No comments: