Friday, July 24, 2009

Going back to school!!

Well, I finally have something interesting to blog about! So a lot of you know that I have always had a thing for photography, namely portraiture. My very generous in-laws gave me a gorgeous camera for my birthday last year, and although I've used it on a few occasions, it really hasn't gotten the use that it should be. That's my fault because I'm of the mindset "If I can't do it well, don't do it at all." Not the best attitude to have!


Unlike Al's father who can pick up an instruction manual and read it cover to cover the way I read trashy chick lit, I am a hands on learner. I have quite a few books that would aid me in my quest to become a great photographer, but there is always some other book I'd rather read or I just get intimidated looking at it and I leave it to gather more dust.


But, if you'll remember a few months back, I posted about basically feeling unfullfilled and being unsure about what I am supposed to do with my life and I think this is it. I love photography in a way I can't describe. The emotions that are stirred in me when I see a particular photo are literally indescribable. I see what some people don't. A photograph will touch me in a way that it doesn't reach someone else.


So after talking with a friend who also recently found her passion for photography, I decided to start doing some research on schools. I definitely can't afford to go back full time at a university and the community college only offers one course. On a whim, I checked out the RISD website. And lo and behold, a continuing education certificate in Digital Photography!


I started to get really excited because the price of the course (or I thought anyway) was very reasonable. Well, to make a long story short, after many conversations, some very teary, some including begging and groveling, Al and I came to a compromise. I am going to take one course in the fall and then we will see where we are financially, with the house, etc and we will go from there. I will probably only take one course a semester, but I am just so excited to get started! I love school! I'd be a career student if I could! haha!

I register on Monday! Katie, thanks for inspiring me to pursue this further!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you found something that will make you happy, NOT so glad that Al made you cry........!